The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- CMS Regulatory Developments. CMS has issued several proposed rules to update Medicare prospective payment systems (PPS) for FY 2016, including the Medicare inpatient PPS, the long-term care hospital PPS, the skilled nursing facility PPS, the inpatient rehabilitation facility PPS, and the inpatient psychiatric facility PPS. CMS has also proposed updating Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record Incentive program rules, mental health parity rules, and funding for Medicaid eligibility and enrollment systems.
- Other HHS Developments. CMS has released information on Medicare DMEPOS competitive bidding, 2016 Medicare Advantage/Part D rates and policies, and Hospital Compare star ratings. The ONC has issued updated electronic health information privacy/security guidance. The FDA and CMS are establishing an interagency task force on laboratory-developed test oversight, and FDA draft guidance addresses medical device clinical data from studies conducted abroad.
- OIG Developments. The OIG has partnered with industry associations to issue guidance for health care governing boards on compliance oversight, and the OIG has issued its Medicaid Fraud Control Units FY 2014 Annual Report.
- Legislative Developments. President Obama has signed legislation to permanently reform the Medicare physician reimbursement framework and make other policy changes. Pending trade legislation would extend Medicare sequestration. The House has approved the “Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act.” Congressional panels have held hearings on several health policy issues.
- Health Industry Events. Upcoming CMS events will focus on home health star ratings and HCPCS coding applications.