The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. HHS has published proposed Stage 3 EHR Incentive Program and health information technology certification rules, along with a final health insurance wraparound coverage rule. CMS has updated its list of DME items subject to face-to-face encounter/written order prior to delivery requirements and published corrections to the 2015 Medicare physician fee schedule (MFPS) final rule. A number of major CMS proposed rules are in the pipeline.
- Other HHS Developments. The Obama Administration has announced its plan to combat antibiotic resistant bacteria, CMS has launched its Health Care Payment Learning and Action Network, and CMS proposes removing two National Coverage Determinations.
- OIG & GAO Developments. The OIG has released the FY 2014 Health Care Fraud and Abuse Control Program Report and its Compendium of Unimplemented Recommendations. The GAO reported on Medicare payments to certain cancer hospitals.
- Legislative Developments. The House approved legislation to reform Medicare reimbursement policy for physician services, but the Senate has not yet acted to avert pending MPFS cuts. The House and Senate have approved budget resolutions with Medicare, Medicaid, and ACA provisions. The House approved DMEPOS competitive bidding, hospital observation, controlled substances, and trauma care bills. Congressional panels have held hearings on health policy issues.
- Health Industry Events. Upcoming CMS events will focus on HCPCS coding applications, home health clinical templates, Open Payments/Sunshine Act Data, the Next Generation ACO Model, and the Medicare Shared Savings Program. MedPAC is meeting to discuss various Medicare policies.