The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. CMS has issued several major Medicare payment rules for 2014, including rules updating reimbursement for hospital outpatient departments, ambulatory surgical centers, physicians and other Part B providers, end-stage renal disease facilities, durable medical equipment suppliers, and home health agencies. Other recent CMS rules and notices have addressed enrollment fees, quality ratings, and payment parameters for Affordable Care Act (ACA) exchange plans.
- Other CMS Developments. CMS has made subregulatory announcements regarding Medicaid drug pricing policy, implementation of the Stage 3 meaningful use criteria, 2014 HCPCS codes and clinical lab rates, Medicare national coverage policies, Medicare Part B drug rates, the ACA insurance grandfathering policy, and Medicaid and CHIP integrated care models.
- OIG Developments. Recent OIG reports examine Medicare acute hospital outlier payments and hospitalization of nursing home patients.
- Legislative Developments. The House has approved the “Keep Your Health Plan Act.” Congressional hearings continue to focus on ACA implementation and other health policy issues. President Obama has signed several bills into law, including major drug distribution security legislation. The Senate Finance Committee is scheduled to consider Medicare physician payment reform.
- Health Industry Events. Upcoming CMS events will focus on Medicare physician quality reporting, new medical services and technologies under the Medicare hospital inpatient prospective payment system, and hospital outpatient services.