The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. CMS is warning of delays in the release of major final Medicare payment rules for CY 2014. CMS also has issued a final rule on ACA Health Insurance Exchange program integrity standards, final Medicare conditions of participation for community mental health centers, and notices on Medicare deductible and coinsurance amounts for 2014.
- Other CMS Developments. CMS has issued guidance to align the Exchange enrollment deadline and the “Shared Responsibility” penalty trigger. CMS expects a delay in the release of the 2014 HCPCS update. IPPS new technology add on applications for FY 2015 are due next month.
- OIG & GAO Reports. An OIG report highlights the volume of spinal surgeries tied to physician-owned distributors. The GAO has issued reports tying Medicare supplemental coverage to higher health spending and providing updated data on Medicare electronic health record incentive payments.
- Legislative Developments. Congress has taken action to temporarily fund government operations while a budget panel considers a broader spending plan. Several House hearings have focused on the rocky HealthCare.gov site rollout.
- Health Industry Events. CMS is hosting calls on dementia care in nursing homes and providers/supplier access to PECOS, EHR, and NPPES files.