CMS is requesting Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval of revisions to the Hospital and Hospital Health Care Complex Cost Report for cost reporting periods beginning on or after February 1, 2010. CMS will accept comments on the proposed revisions through August 31, 2009.
According to CMS, the cost report revisions would, among other things:
• Clarify existing instructions and definitions.
• Standardize reporting of legislative and policy changes incorporated in the prior version of the hospital cost report (FORM CMS-2552-96) through transmittal updates.
• Reorganize data on Worksheet S-2, which drives the cost report, for a better flow.
• Remove obsolete worksheets and cost centers.
• Assign standard reporting lines and incorporate settlement worksheets for the following: Inpatient Psychiatric Facility or subprovider, Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility or subprovider, Long Term Care Hospital
• Include a worksheet for GME and IME.
• Include Worksheet S-2, Part II to: incorporate data previously reported on the Provider Cost Report Reimbursement Questionnaire, Form CMS-339, require electronic submission as part of the cost report electronic filing; and, eliminate separate submission of the Form CMS-339.
• Include Worksheet S-3, Part IV to collect wage information previously reported on the Form CMS 339.
• Include Worksheet S-3, Part V to collect contract labor and benefit costs.
• Redesign numerous worksheets for more efficient collection of data.