The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. Recent CMS regulations have addressed the EHR meaningful use timeline and the ACA Marketplace eligibility redetermination/renewal process. HHS has issued regulations on ACA contraception coverage requirements. FDA is seeking comments on informed consent in clinical trials. OMB has cleared an OIG proposed rule that would expand the OIG’s fraud and abuse authorities.
- Other CMS Developments. CMS has made additional changes to the Sunshine Act “Open Payments” timeline, and it has implemented fingerprint-based background checks for "high-risk" providers and suppliers. CMS also has offered to settle certain short-stay hospital claims, and it has announced the 2015 Medicare ambulance update factor.
- OIG & GAO Reports. Recent OIG reports have focused on nursing facility abuse/neglect reporting practices and Medicaid drug rebate disputes between manufacturers and states. GAO reports have addressed Medicare contractor postpayment reviews and the accuracy of Medicare Advantage encounter data.
- Legislative Developments. Upcoming House hearings will address ACA implementation and ways to accelerate medical innovation.
- Health Industry Events. CMS is hosting ICD-10-CM/PCS Coordination and Maintenance Committee meetings and a call on how to avoid 2016 negative payment adjustments under Medicare quality reporting programs. FDA is hosting a workshop on 3-D printing of medical devices.
- @ReedSmithHealth is on Twitter. For the latest news on health policy issues involving Medicare, Medicaid, HIPAA, OIG, FDA, and more, follow us at @ReedSmithHealth.