The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. The IRS has issued several regulations on Affordable Care Act (ACA) provisions, including the medical device tax, a fee on insurers to fund comparative outcomes research, and guidance on the branded prescription drug fee, and an Office of Personnel Management proposed rule addresses the ACA Multi-State Plan Program. HHS has issued a proposed rule on ACA benefit and payment parameters for 2014 and a notice on FY 2014 Federal Medical Assistance Percentage amounts. CMS rules and notices address electronic health record (EHR) certification criteria and incentive program specifications, provider application fees, and patient experiences with emergency department care.
- Other HHS Developments.CMS has made announcements regarding the 2013 Medicare DMEPOS fee schedule, supervision levels for select outpatient services, outpatient therapy limits and coding policy for 2013, Medicare Part B drug ASP files, hospice data collection, and ACA Medicaid and insurance provisions. FDA has issued draft guidance on the conduct of clinical trials and product safety/risk minimization.
- Fraud & Abuse Developments. The Justice Department reports nearly $5 billion in False Claims Act recoveries for FY 2012. Recent OIG reports have addressed home and community-based services, Medicare Part B drug prices, the Medicare EHR incentive program, and unimplemented OIG recommendations. Recent GAO reports have reviewed Medicaid EHR incentive payments, Medicare prepayment edits, Medicaid program integrity efforts, and Medicare dialysis reimbursement.
- Legislative Developments. Congressional hearings have focused on health policy issues.
- Health Industry Events. CMS has announced calls/meetings on ACA disproportionate share hospital payment provisions, hospital outpatient payment policy, and inpatient hospital new technology add-on applications.